We strive to be 100% accountable for our sustainable measures. Starting with creation and production, to how it is packaged and received all around the world. Sustainability has become a tool for design innovation and has encouraged the process of clothing to be more than simply beautiful. We want you to feel empowered when you choose to purchase SILOU and know that it is both socially and environmentally conscious.
Creating fabric and producing clothing requires water and energy. We intentionally choose textiles and manufacturing partners with the highest standards of sustainable environmental and social practices. It’s important to us to minimise our impact on the planet and endorse fair working conditions in every way we can.
Our process starts with intent. Rather than being trend-driven, our activewear is seasonless, classic and designed for longevity. We select colours and styles that we love and feel fresh year after year, no matter the season. Our pieces are mix-and-match so your activewear wardrobe does more with less.
Our fabrics are OEKO-TEX® certified and performance-tested, meaning they are free of harmful chemicals and fit for human use. With no harsh chemicals used, production impacts on the environment are minimised, resulting in a fabric that is soft and safe against the skin.
It’s crucial that our fabrics adhere to the highest technological, environmental and social standards, which is why we use bio-based, luxury textiles. These are crafted using a mixture of premium recycled and raw materials that use production processes with a limited impact on the environment. We continuously test new recycled materials and encourage our textile partners to provide new sustainable fabric options. We’ll be honest - this can be expensive, even astronomical at times making it impossible to include such materials in our small batch production. It is in driving collective demand that sustainable options become accessible. A lot of sustainable fabrics aren't suitable for activewear, and those that are often don't stand the test of time such as bamboo and hemp. Currently we use TENCEL™, Organic Cotton and ECONYL® in our ranges.
Q-NOVA®️ is made from materials which were deemed unusable in any other way and would have been disposed of as external waste. The discarded materials are recast using a mechanical regeneration process which does not involve using chemical materials which would detract from the sustainability of the end product. An ecological product in design, Q-NOVA®️ reduces CO2 emissions, consumes less water and uses renewable energy.
- lightweight with the same qualities as Cotton or Polyester
- boasts excellent moisture control meaning that the skin stays fresh and dry
- Q-NOVA®️ has the best possible dyeing quality, with colours are bright and bold
- Global Recycled Standard (GRS). Their goal is to increase use of Recycled materials in products and reduce/eliminate the harm caused by its production.
- EU ECOLABEL is a trademark certifying environmental quality and indicating the products with the best ecological performance throughout its entire lifespan.
- Higg Index by the SAC - Sustainable Apparel Coalition. The Higg index enables supply chains to assess the environmental impact of a garment's entire life cycle. Working towards transparency it allows companies to compare materials so they can make knowledgeable, more sustainable choices.
TENCEL™ is a high-performance viscose fibre, made from 100% regenerated cellulose from trees in managed forests.
In brief, TENCEL™ is:
- Stronger than cotton when wet or dry
- Easy to care, with very low shrinkage
- Durable and luxurious yet practical
- Very absorbent and breathable
- Completely biodegradable and can be recycled
Not only is TENCEL™ all of the above, it is also antibacterial, odour-resistant and ideal for sensitive skin, making it the perfect material to work out in.
TENCEL™ fibres are certified with the internationally recognized EU Ecolabel, an environmental quality label only awarded to products which have a significantly lower environmental impact throughout their entire lifecycle. Lenzing (the company responsible for the creation of TENCEL™) also received the European Award for the Environment from the European Commission in the category “The Technology Award for Sustainable Development” (2002).
Our cotton is organic and has been approved by The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). The aim of this Standard is to define requirements to ensure organic status of textiles, from the harvesting of raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer.
To obtain the GOTS organic label, a product must:
- Contain at least 95% organic fibre
- Not be treated with bleach, formaldehyde or any other toxic substances
- Be coloured with non-toxic dyes
- Be produced in a mill that enforces strict social and environmental standards, treating their employees and the earth with deep respect.
Finding recycled materials isn’t necessarily the most difficult piece of the sustainability process, but rather finding recycled materials that stand the test of time and perform. A lot of sustainable materials break down easier such as bamboo and hemp, and more are simply not suitable for activewear. We are proud that our trial and error has led us to use ECONYL® for our latest collection, Selene. ECONYL® is a regenerated nylon waste from landfills and oceans around the world. It's exactly the same as brand new nylon but can be recycled, recreated and remoulded again and again. That means you can create new products and buy new products without having to use new resources.
- ECONYL® has the potential to be recycled infinitely, without ever losing its quality. The goal is that once all products containing ECONYL® are no longer useful to customers, they can go back to step one of the Regeneration System.
- It reduces the global warming impact of nylon by up to 80% compared to the material crafted from oil.
- ECONYL® allows for muscular compression aimed at decreasing the production of lactic acid and boosts better recovery of energy.
- Gentle on the skin, ECONYL® is breathable and highly UV protective (UPF 50+).
- ECONYL® boasts resilient elastic memory meaning it moulds to you and bounces back to its shape more than regular activewear.
We believe in creating a better world through fashion. If you know of any innovative eco fabrics you would like to share with us, we're happy to hear from you on email@example.com